Adult stem cells are widely misunderstood; they are different from embryonic stem cells, found naturally in your body, and have fascinating regenerative...
Your liver is the central processing department for your body. It is responsible for hundreds of biochemical functions that impact your hormonal health, your nutrition, proper digestion, cholesterol levels, etc. Here are a few highlights of what the liver does for you:
• Packages the nutrients from your meals, and sends it out to the body cells.
• Processes bodily wastes, hormones, and external toxins (including medications) to detoxify and promote their proper elimination.
• Makes hormone-binding proteins that circulate in your blood.
• Makes almost all of the cholesterol in your body.
• Makes your bile, necessary for absorbing fat and vitamins A, D, E, K, beta-carotene, coenzyme Q10. Bile also helps take toxins and excess hormones out of the body.
• Stores carbohydrates for future energy requirements.
• Converts carbohydrate, fats, and proteins.
• Stores nutrients including vitamin A, B12, D, and the mineral iron.
• Makes blood clotting proteins and immune-related proteins.
As a naturopathic doctor, I have noticed and treated more and more people with liver-related disorders, most commonly fatty liver disease. According to the Canadian Liver Foundation, fatty liver disease, a condition that no one had even heard of 15 or 20 years ago, is now the most common form of liver disease in Canada. Characterized by a build up of fat in the liver, fatty liver disease can progress from simple fat accumulation to inflammation and eventually to scarring (cirrhosis). Like many other forms of liver disease, fatty liver disease can also lead to liver cancer. In fact, in Canada, liver cancer has increased 8.5 per cent in the past ten years (more than double the rate of any other cancer except thyroid). To learn more, visit www.liver.ca. As you can see the liver does so much work for you, now its time to show your liver some love. Here are five amazing liver-supportive tips to make your liver’s job easier.
Herbs can help with winter health! With the windchill at all times high, it's important to fight the cold. Here a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…12 hours ago
Bell Lifestyle Products introduces “the guy” campaign for Men’s Health - representing all men who should be taking… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 days ago
Smoking can be a hard habit to kick! Fortunately, there are all-natural ways to curb those cravings and the other… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 days ago